Sunday, February 28, 2010

If You Don't Know, Now You Know

I was talking this evening with some guy about things and we started talking about music. He was curious who my top 10 favorite bands are. Wow, um give me an hour and I will get back to you after I sort this out. This has always been a difficult question for me to answer because I just don't want to leave anybody out. There is so much music that I love, I just don't know how to sum it up to 10 favorite bands. So we (he) decided that a list of top 10 albums is a better question. That's probably harder, but thanks for the effort..? Anyway, it caused me to really think about it, and I decided I want to have this list ready in my mind for the next person that asks me, so I can throw it down like I totally know what's going on at all times.

As most people know about me, or can figure out from these ever so insightful blog posts of mine, getting a new album is quite the event for me. A new album to me is like a new crush. I buy it and listen to it - first date. Continue out my day and see if I feel the strong urge to listen to it again. If so, I listen to it through again- 2nd date. Then if I still feel like I need to hear it more, well I do. I listen to it more, and for a few days or weeks I can't stop listening to it. And when I'm listening to something else I get sad because I just want to be listening to it. I think about the songs all day and can't wait to get back in La Toya, or Henry (back in the day...tear. many a story in that car), to drive and listen to it. Then after some time it fades and then another new album comes along and the adventure begins again. There are some (a lot) that have gone through this stage with me, but have lasted for quite some time and even come back around quite frequently in the player. These ones made it past the crush phase and full on into the stage of everlasting love. Very similar pattern to that of the dating world. Except I don't necessarily fall in love with a lot of different guys. And neither should you. As a matter of fact, I probably have had more crushes on CD's than I have had on guys in my life. It takes kind of a lot for me to have a crush on a guy (you've got to be pretty freakin rad to make that short list) and it doesn't really take a whole lot for me to have a crush on or love an album. Just some good music is all I need.

So I've compiled the list and here it is. It's always subject to change though...Oh and I made the decision to exclude Mariah from this list because she is in a whole class of her own in my mind and she deserves her own top 10 album list. That would just be a whole other blog....


10. Phoenix Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix


9. Placebo Black Market Music
















8. Cold War Kids Robbers and Cowards

7. Incubus Morning View

6. Nirvana In Utero


5. Interpol Turn on the Bright Lights

4. Third Eye Blind Third Eye Blind

3. Brand New Deja Entendu


2. The Bealtes Abbey Road (sorry for the small pic, all the others were huge)

and number one goes to.......




Kings of Leon Youth and Young Manhood

It's probably because the weather is already starting to get nice here in Seattle and I can already feel summer in the air that this is my number one album right now. It is definitely my favorite to go running outside to. This song was my summer theme last year. And this one I can already tell is going to be this summer's theme, I cannot get enough of it. The whole album makes me want to be in the sun and have campfires and canoe and dance like an idiot and just makes me so freakin happy! I love it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

So I love you. So who was this guy? So I love how you love music so much. So thanks for finally posting about how music is a boy you are dating and become obsessed with, and if he is your true lover the obesession will continue and be life-long.

Hurrah. Music is the best metaphor for man meat.

Mallory said...

I just realized I didn't put Muse on this list and I got depressed and angry with myself. I love Muse. Anyone reading this don't think I don't love Muse. I LOVE MUSE !!