Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And We'll Linger On. Time Can't Erase A Feeling This Strong


It was sometime in fall of 1995 when I found myself standing in front of the t.v. watching in awe as I took in the music video that was playing. "Who is that lady?" I asked my brother laying on the couch. "Duh, that's Mariah Carey" he replied like I should know. It was then that the obsession began.

I'm writing about this for a few reasons. 1. I unpacked all my C.D. cases this week (which have been at my mom's for the past few years so I forgot how many I even have - roughly 200) and got excited to see all my Mariah stuff. 2. I just watched Zohan with my brother Mitch and loved how he was wearing her shirt basically every scene. 3. I love her.

I don't usually bring up the fact that I'm pretty much obsessed with Mariah unless she somehow comes up in conversation, so a lot of my friends don't know or at least didn't find out for awhile. Considering the type of music I usually listen to (Brand New, Incubus, Muse, 3eb, Placebo etc etc) people usually think I'm joking when I say I'm in love with her. I think it's funny because I'm not joking at all. When I meet people that share the way I feel it usually goes like this -

Me: Are you serious? I effing love Mariah Carey
other fan: No way, I love her so much!
massive hug

It's happened more than once. I remember at my work every time a Mariah song would come on either I would call Ali over in the operators booth or she would call me at my department. She or I would answer and say "I know! I love her" then hang up and get back to work. I probably listen to Mariah every single day and will never get enough. I have to go to her concert in my lifetime or I have wasted my time on earth. I'm not going to lie, for years it's been my dream to go to her concert and be proposed to at it.....by her. Actually you know come to think of it maybe those two things shouldn't happen in the same day, I would probably have a heart attack and literally die. Well it would be a good end to life.

Now that you know this about me, feel free to discontinue friendship. I will understand. I can always go listen to Mariah's 1993 hit "Anytime You Need A Friend" and feel great. And little Miss Courtney Smith don't think I can't see you rolling your eyes at me in disgust back there in Provo! You love her and you know it! Oh just to clarify, if I ever met her I would definitely not be one of those crazy fans that freaks out, that's weird. I would probably stare from afar. I've loved her for the past 14 years, if that's not lasting love I just don't know what is.

Though it's impossible to choose, here are my favorites by her. Only for today though....

10.Melt Away
9. I Still Believe
8. Dreamlover
7. Sent From Up Above
6. Long Ago
5. For The Record
4. Always Be My Baby (Mr. Dupri remix)
3. We Belong Together
2. Don't Forget About Us
1. Slipping Away (Unreleased track from 95 that I don't have and need soooo bad!)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Now now Mallory, we've discussed this before. I like Mariah's old stuff. Nick Cannon was nothing but bad news for her. She needs to go back to Butterfly.