Monday, August 2, 2010

For the past few months I haven't had too much time to work on my artwork, and I'm not OK with that. It's for legitimate reasons that I haven't started anything new though, so I guess I am OK with it. The itch to start something new has been just raging lately, and it must be cured. So I went to my mom's house and dug around in her closet and found some of her painting stuff. I've been wanting to try some new mediums, so I thought I would mess around with some watercolor for a bit. I haven't used watercolor since my senior year in high school, and apparently forgot how freaking hard it is. One painting that I did in my senior year won in the art show and made me an All State Artist, so I figured I would probably be able to do something somewhat decent. Well, apparently not. After like five hours I had nothing good to show for myself. My watercolor skills are pretty much gone. I was really wishing my mom wasn't out of town on one of her many river rafting trips (I swear she goes every weekend, she's so rad) because I really REALLY could have used her help. She is an insanely good artist and watercolor is her medium of choice, she could have given me some very useful tips. I guess, in my own defense, I wasn't really trying that hard either. Also I hadn't properly prepared my paper for painting, I didn't have 12 hours to soak it and let it dry. But those are hardly excuses. Although, unless I'm super into the piece I'm working on, I've noticed I do considerably worse on it than normal. And I wasn't super into the ones I was doing. But I am so excited for this semester be over in like 2 weeks, then I will have lots of time to work on my art. I already have so many things I want to draw, I can't wait.

Also, lately I haven't had hardly any time for my own personally reading (aside from scriptures), or I guess I haven't made time. It's been a few months since the last book I read for myself, and I remember that the one I read kind of made me angry. It was Tears of Blood: A Cry for Tibet, a good read, but sad. The other day Kelly and I spent way too long at DI perusing the bookshelves and I found a couple good ones for like two bucks each - A Passage to India, and A Map of the World. That second one has an Oprah's Book Club sticker on it, so you KNOW it's good...I guess. I started reading A Passage to India, then about two days later I lost it somehow. I thought it was lost to the world until today I found it hidden under a pair of running shoes and one of my drawing boards that were in the trunk of my car. I'd like to know how it got there, but I've come to terms with the fact that I probably never will. I was saddened that I didn't find the one I was searching for at DI though, but eventually I will find me a cheap copy of a bio on Caravaggio to suffice my needs. Oh, that will be the day.

No comments: